Friday, January 10, 2014

First of the shows on the calendar

As of today I have two shows on the calendar: 

Latimore Valley V-Dub bash on 7/19

And

The Campbelltown Dust Off on 4/13

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

On a slightly unrelated note

Already I have been marking dates down for shows in 2014. This year I will be accompanied by my buddy and mechanic who has a Vanagon he will be bringing. His Rabbit pickup has not made it to the "drivable" stage yet. Too many projects for us both. Anyhow, just wanted to include some limited photos of his vehicles.

Here we are picking up the Rabbit:


Here it is at the garage:

Cap removed:

The bed:

Interior removal, we found ants under the carpet (shiver):

Here's the carpet romoved:

His big problem spot on the Rabbit:

New headlights:












And here the only two photos I currently have of the Vanagon:








Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Where I am now

Since the other posts where done as a way to play catch up, I thought it would be good to give a current state of affairs with relation to the Rocco as of today (1/7/2014).

Currently the car is under the car cover and stored out back for the winter. I have been spending time cleaning the engine block up while we prep it to eventually go to the machine shop for the block to be bored out and decked. I will also be lightening the crankshaft. New sportier cams have been purchased as well. Looking for new 83.5mm pistons to replace the factory pistons which will go along with having the block bored two over. I will most likely reuse the stock rods, valves, and valve springs as they all cleaned up nice and appear in good order. I will also be looking for the following items to complete the engine build:

  • Crankshaft Bearings
  • Intermediate Shaft Bearings
  • New Oil Pump
  • Inner and Outer Timing Belt Covers
  • New Fuel Lines from Front to Back
  • Fuel Management System (Still not sure the route I want to take with this)
  • 16V Radiator and Radiator Fan (Could use existing if need be)
  • Coolant Overflow Bottle
  • Vacuum Hoses (just in case)
  • Breather Hoses (just in case)
  • Header
  • Downpipe
  • Exhaust
  • Plug Wires
  • Cap and Rotor
  • Lightened Flywheel (Most likely the stage 2 set from Black Forest)
Other Items I will be researching/looking for that are not engine related:
  • Window Rubber (Very hard to find, I did purchase two new rear quarter windows with rubber so looking for windshield, rear window, and door rubber)
  • Hatch Seal
  • Rear Sway Bar (I do not think I will really need this and it is very low priority)
  • New Carpet
  • Clean Dash
  • Seats restiched
  • Euro-style turn signals
  • Eyelid
  • block paint
  • someone to paint the intake and valve cover
Items Currently in my inventory:
  • Front upper strut tower bar
  • All Coolant hoses
  • ecu
  • wiring harness
  • New Fuel Pump
  • 16v Alternator
  • Cams
  • a ton of miscellaneous engine parts
  • Rear Brake lines
  • Paint for the rotors and drums in the back
So that is where I am currently with my project. 

Removing the molding

Before winter set in I wanted to remove the moulding on the car. This is in the eventual prep for painting that probably won't happen for a while yet.  But they need to be cleaned up and since the car needed to be cleaned it seemed like a good time to do it. 

Here the moulding is removed:


Had to do some scrubbing:


And there she is without her moulding:






A few more odds and ends

Someone from a dealership gave me some magic in a bottle to clean up the bumpers to make them a shiny black again:


The lug bolts were too long when we installed the spacers on the wheels, so Joe cut them down to size.


Eventually I will get these installed. I purchased the whole kit:


This trim piece is impossible to find. Mirrors aren't easy to come by either...as of today I'm still looking:


Just a bunch of parts in boxes:


Originally the car was running on 3 of the 4 cylinders but replacing this unit fixed all that:


Holy shit, this was the key to the 82 Scirocco I owned as a teenager:


Some more parts for the new engine. 16v alternator and ecu:


Had no idea how much gas I had, this is why. Replaced the fuel sending unit with something aftermarket:





A few more images from 2013











2013 Show Season

With the car running and the 2013 show season started it was time to take the car to a few shows. While it is far from complete, the car was definitely road and show worthy as an original. 













The plate

Couldn't resist the vanity plate. 


New plate installed and blackout tail lights:



Headlights

While a fan of the scirocco, I wanted to change the look slightly with some euro style headlights. Took a while but I managed to find a complete set in good condition plus half a second set so I have some spare lenses. I had to remove the old lights, purchase new lens adjusters, install the lens adjusters on the lights, then rewire and install the euro lights. 

Before:


Lights out and checking the wiring diagram:


Euro-lights before install:


And after:





Monday, January 6, 2014

Parts cleanup

Since many of the different engine parts and the original tires were all super dirty and covered in grime, I asked my stepdad to bead-blast them. Here are the major items finished. 

Wheels (they look almost new):


Valve cover:









Wheels, tires, and suspension

Since the suspension was old and I wanted a slightly lower stance and some nicer wheels and tires it was time to replace those items as well. We started with the shocks. We removed the shocks and I replaced them with Raceland Coilovers. I purchased wheels on eBay and wrapped them in Yokohama rubber. We also replaced the rotors and pads up front, all the brake lines, and installed the front sway bar and rear strut tower stabilizer.  

Here are the tires


Here are the rims:

Coilovers installed:

 Brakes before: 

Brakes after: 

Alignment: 



Valve covers: 


Wheels on the car: